How’s good are your sailing skills?
If you have no sailing skills, or your skills are limited, then the place to start is to learn the basics, as you would on the Competent Crew course. The CBYA have teamed up with the owner of a Bavaria 40 yacht in Club Nautico de Javea, who is going to run though all the competencies you would learn on a Competent Crew course. These are:
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails
- Sail Handling
- Fire precautions and fighting
- Personal safety equipment
- Man overboard
- Emergency equipment
- Manners and customs
- Rules of the road
- About Seasickness
- Helmsmanship and sailing
- General duties
- With skills at the level of Competent Crew, and together with the RYA Day Skipper Theory*, you would be all prepared to take the RYA Day Skipper Practical course, enabling you to skipper a boat with confidence, or charter a boat for your own use.
The course runs on Tuesdays throughout the winter. Please watch out for the newsletter inviting you to take part on one of these exciting sailing days or review the events calendar.
* The CBYA are also running a Day Skipper Theory online course. See newsletters and posts about Day Skipper Theory courses for more information