Costa Blanca, Spain

Charter Sailing Day – Tuesday 30th November 2021

The original Day Charter sailing day was planned for Monday November 29th. However, with great thanks to modern technology, and a very reliable weather/wind app, we were pre-warned that the wind on Sunday would increase to 30 knots overnight. We would then experience gusts of up to 38knots on the Monday – not great for a comfortable day’s sailing!!

In fact, Náutico Corcho would not let us take a yacht out on the Monday, so we had to postpone to the Tuesday, which turned out to be a very nice sunny day, but the complete opposite, with virtually no wind!! We also had a one-meter swell left over from the previous 24 hours weather conditions.
We met at Bar Mala Vita (on the wall, owned by Jávea Company) at 10am for a coffee and introductions, then boarded our boat, a very nice 4-year old Jeanneau 44.9.

There were six of us onboard as normal: Peter Bird, Peter Jerke, Jiesoon Kim, Phil Roberts, John Beavis, and myself. All had varying skills, experience and sailing abilities, so tuition was available where/when needed.

It was by quite warm in the winter sun on leaving the berth, so some layers had to be removed! We motored out for about 30 minutes in a Northerly direction, to where 4 knots of wind had been forecast. This eventually arrived, so we were able to sail for about an hour. The sea had by now calmed considerably to virtually a flat calm! The wind then died away completely, so we gently motored North.

The reliable ‘Windy’ app was indicating that the wind would change to a Southerly at around 1pm. If correct, we could then sail, beating into the southerly wind, whilst heading back to Dénia. The wind arrived roughly on schedule from the South as predicted, and strengthened to 8 -11 knots. We then finally had an enjoyable 2-hour sail whilst heading back to the marina, with everyone taking a turn on the helm.

Berthing at 4.30pm, we still had time for a wind down beer at Bar Republique. Overall, a very enjoyable day was had by all on board.

A note for your diary, as Náutico Corcho is now closed during December up to January 10th, the next planned Charter Sailing Day will be Monday 24th January 2022. As always, this will be subject to weather and sea conditions as predicted by reliable app!! The usual CBYA invitation email, will go out in due course, nearer the time.

Meanwhile, stay safe and COVID-free… and Feliz Navidad to you all.
Graham Hustler
Day Charter Co-ordinator



Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.